Saturday, March 29, 2014


CHILDHOOD etc.

 When childhood still held a certain amount of innocence....

When I was about eight or nine, at the dinner table one night, I asked my parents what a lesbian was, having encountered the word in my reading.  There was a stunned silence except for my two older brothers and sister, who either had milk spurting from their noses or were choking on their food.  The bulging eyes and the silence of my parents was odd because my father considered himself the font of knowledge.  Realizing that something was extraordinarily wrong, after dinner I consulted the dictionary.  The next night, to save myself further embarrassment, I told them all, with a happy smile, that I had discovered that a lesbian was an inhabitant of the island of Lesbos, and this resulted in the same milk episode and stunned stares, but I felt vindicated…although I didn’t know what vindicated meant, either. 

I was a young child…or a not-quite-old boy…when I saw these large letters on the sides of milk cartons in our family fridge: HOMO (which, of course, stood for HOMOgenized)…but having recently heard more-informed friends (who were blessed with OLDER brothers who could explain things that parents wouldn’t) …and seeing those letters and having heard those same classmates calling other guys “Homo!  Homo!” made me not want to drink any more milk…