Thursday, July 23, 2015

Crawling Down Memory Lane

There was a live kiddie cartoon show on from 4 to 5, Monday thru Friday, on Channel 13 out of Newark in the late 40's and early 50's that featured terrible silent cartoons starring Farmer Gray, a cat, and tons of mice...the show was called Junior Frolics, hosted by "Uncle Fred" Sayles... after sending in enough boxtops from cereal or something, I got to be on the show...my mother took us down to the station by bus from East Orange and we got there pretty early and I wanted to sit right next to Uncle Fred and whoever she talked to put me there...then the show started and out came this mostly bald guy in a shiny blue suit who announced that Uncle Fred was sick and he was subbing for him...then he sat right down next to me...with a really bad case of  nervous armpit odor mixed with stale cigarette stench...all I remember is he had a silver pinky ring with a fake blue star sapphire in it...when we got home, my grandmother was really mad at me because she said I had sat there for the whole hour with a pissed-off frown on my face....it would have been different if UNCLE FRED had been there! If you want to see how bad those early black-and-white cartoons were, Google UNCLE FRED JUNIOR FROLICS on YouTube and you should get a cartoon called "The Life of a Cat."

No comments: